Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Filling up Empty Bowls

We're filling these bowls with food and the uniqueness of their makers, and it's shown in the bowls' construction and appearance.

I love double entendres and playing with words. Linguistics are fun.

So here's my thing!
Two halves of a face, inverse in chromatic symmetry.

But look again!


The different faces share a mind. This is called a person.
Doing what comes naturally has led to this bowl. I like not having guidelines, it's like I already know what to do.
This may be why certain projects in our class that I've done don't feel like art to me. I may feel good or bad about something somebody wanted me to do, but it's not art to me. I could never be paid to create something, I'd just do it or I wouldn't.
Hm. I wish I could explain better without saying "I don't feel like it," because that's a commonly used and easily misunderstood declaration.

I could just be looking at things the wrong way.

About the Empty Bowls Community Service Project, and about any community service like it:
Helping one other than oneself for no personal gain is... necessary. Those who don't understand this are, in my eyes, children. Or not adult humans, at least. Other animals give selflessly, but not always to the less fortunate. I'm actually not sure there is such a thing a "fortune" in the non~human universe.
Anyway. Hunger in America.
Very common. I see it a lot, but not to its extremes. It may be because of my ignorance, but I would think that the United States has more of a difficulty helping the obese than it does the hungry.
I... don't have much more to say. I'm far too uneducated on the matter. Know that I have a compulsion to change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment